CAIRE, the parent company of SeQual, has developed a mobile app available on the iOS App Store to be used with the SeQual Eclipse 5 and SeQual eQuinox portable oxygen concentrators. This simple and easy to use app will help you determine your expected battery life based on your flow rate and your breathing rate. It will also determine your pulse flow equivalent when you are using continuous flow. This app can make your life easier by taking some of the planning out of your day and giving you peace of mind. As of right now this app is only available for the iPhone, iPod, and iPad, but CAIRE expects to have an Android app up and running by the end of the year. For those of you without an iPhone, iPad, or iPod CAIRE is putting the finishing touches on their desktop version for you to access from your home computer or laptop. Once the desktop version is completed we will let you know!
How Does eTASK Work?
eTask provides patients and health care professionals with a tool to help with titration and determining your expected battery life. This app was specifically designed to work with the SeQual eQuinox and Eclipse 5 portable oxygen concentrators and will not work for any other POC. It is easy enough for anyone to use without getting lost or confused with what to do. You simply select the device you are using, adjust the flow rate option on the app to match yours and all you have to do is cross reference the categories you are looking to get information on.
How Do You Use eTASK?
- Download the app here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/etask-for-ios/id900634489?mt=8
- Open the app and select your device; SeQual Eclipse 5 or SeQual eQuinox
- Set your breathing rate and your desired O2 concentration
- If you are using the eQuinox, select the battery you are using; 12 cell or 24 cell
- Adjust the "Flow:" option using the "+" and "-" buttons to match your concentrator's flow rate
- If you are looking for expected battery life, look for the "Battery:" option. You will see two ratings, one for continuous flow and one for pulse flow.
- If you are looking for the pulse dose equivalent ratings, look for the "Setting:" or "Pulse:" option. It will tell you what pulse dose settings is going to put out the same amount of oxygen as it would on continuous flow.
- It will give you two readings for the equivalent pulse dose. The "Setting:" option will show you what pulse dose setting your machine needs to be set at, this number is not equivalent to the continuous flow setting. The "Pulse:" option will show you the amount of oxygen in each bolus dose.
- Equivalent pulse calculations are for reference only. Pulse flow should not be prescribed without you being evaluated by your physician to determine its effectiveness.
How Can eTASK Benefit You?
eTASK has a variety of benefits that may not be glaringly obvious. For starters, you may take time planning on how many batteries you need to get through your errands, or worrying if you have enough battery life to last you a certain amount of time. eTASK can take the math and guessing game out of your daily schedule. With the help of this app you can know exactly how much battery life you will have for your trip, errands, or activity.
Another way eTASK can benefit you is by showing you your pulse dose equivalent. Many patients using a continuous flow are unsure if a pulse dose delivery will work for them. This app will give you the knowledge of what your equivalent pulse dose would be so you can speak with your doctor about testing to use a pulse dose delivery. Using a pulse dose delivery can help prevent your nasal cavities from drying out and portable oxygen concentrators get much better battery life when running on pulse dose.+Caleb Umstead